Before we dive into financial resilience, what it is, how to have it and what you should and should not be doing right now to ensure your financial wellbeing in the short, medium and long term, I was to pause for a moment and acknowledge the situation we are ALL in.
What we are experiencing is unprecedented, no-one knows where we are headed or what sort of world we will emerge into – but what we do know is that this WILL end at some point and we WILL emerge.
This video and question and answer session is how to build an amazingly resilient financial foundation that will support you NOW, in the medium term and the long terms and help you emerge from this time, strong and thriving.
Please absorb this…
What we are entering into is a war time like economy.
This is something very, very few people alive today have ever experienced.
There are very few people left who lived through the Great Depression and World War 2.
Now is all about “The War Effort”
In times like this attention and energy moves down Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs.
It becomes about ensuring our most fundamental needs are met
- Safety, security
- Food and water
- It’s about self preservation
It is a time where people will move away from the higher needs of self actualisation and expression.
But just because it is about self preservation, does not mean that “SELF” needs to be selfish.
Let this time of foundation building be a time of expanded self, a time of regeneration for all humanity and the very earth that gives us our home.
It’s times like this that we are called to rally together, we get through this in an empowered generative way by supporting as many people as possible and focusing our attention on how we can serve.
We get to consciously choose what sort of future we want to emerge into.
We get to choose who we will be during this time.
We get to choose how and what we consume.
This is Freedom – Freedom of Choice.
This is the only thing freedom is, and with this freedom comes responsibility.
The responsibility of choosing wisely has never been sharper than it is now.
Regarding the economy, while it’s easy to focus on all the devastation being wrought,we must always come back to centre and know that in every situation there are some that thrive and some that fail.
Some sectors of our economy are really booming and other sectors are being decimated.
In the wild, during drought and during periods of fabulous rain, different species flourish.
Predators thrive in droughts.
Herbivorous thrive in the rainy seasons.
It just is, the is-ness of like.
Amazon has announced it has already hired 100,000 additional workers,
The net worth of the founder of Zoom increased by 2 Billion – yes Billion with a B – in one week
The industries that are booming right now include:
- Supplement industry
- Online gaming has exploded by over 400%
- Wifi services services and internet demand has increased by over 500%
- Stress management
- Health equipment and supplies
- Digital services of all kind
And there are industries collapsing right now:
- The hospitality industry and with it all the ancillary services that support it
There will be a significant increase in unemployment during this time and significant, rapid and radical changes in how we work, earn and add value.
Irrespective of how we earn – or used to earn money – each of our jobs now is to stay centred, to focus on creativity and how we can creatively use the resources and means available to us to create value and contribute.
We must be as optimistic as we can be and at the same time being as realistic as we must be with what we know to be true.
Not conjecture, only real data.
We must approach every day, every hour, every moment with a pragmatism and flexibility to respond quickly to the very quickly changing landscape of the world as we knew it and ensure we are not putting our heads in the sand and being fools going it’s all going to be OK – la, la la…
This is the ultimate test of self mastery, walking the fine line of enoughness, noticing fear and greed beckoning to us.
Instead of falling prey to their seductive pull, we need to look to the future with hope knowing the truth that life is resilient and robust and we have an incredible capacity for change and an incredible creativity which we have the responsibility to direct consciously for the greater good of our entire world system.
It’s going to take time for people to adjust.
People are in various stages of denial, grief, anger, fear, transition and it’s going to take time for people to move into this new way of being and we don’t yet know what that even is.
We must choose to be the beacons of hope and light and leadership for our families, our communities, and at the same time take the steps necessary in order to succeed and thrive.
If there has ever been a time where we need to be AWAKE and CONSCIOUS about the consequence of our moment by moment decisions – it’s now.
Turning to Financial Resilience and the things we can and can’t do, and the things we should and should NOT be doing.
This is the time to focus on the bottom of your Maslow’s hierarchy.
It’s time for stability, safety, security and preservation.
IT’S ABOUT YOUR BASE BABY!
Let’s start with your support foundations of MIND, BODY & SPIRIT
- How will you choose to do each day – get a generative rhythm going
- Get up, bathe and dress
- Choose what you focus on
- Feed your body well
- Movement and flexibility
- Workout – have a dance party
- Connection & Community
- Be conscious who you connect with and how
- Create a connection schedule
- Share your skills, love and creativity and don’t share crap and fear
- Have discernment
Caring for those we love including our fur babies. Homeschool your dog with the amazing Susan Garrett’s FREE Homeschool the Dog online training.
- Mental resilience
- Choose what you focus on
- Use this unique time to clear incompletions, get your bases in place, clear out and declutter in every area of your life
- It’s time for self mastery by doing Gilan Gork’s FREE 14 Day Self Mastery Challenge
TAKE STOCK – Do a review of your 4 wealth quadrants and see where you are weak and vulnerable.
- Get very real and evaluate the strength and certainly of the inflows – this is about realism – not lala and also not catastrophizing
- Identify new sources of income you can create
- Get super creative about how you can add value and how you need to work – what can you do remotely and/or online
- This is THE most important thing to focus on right now. YOU MUST LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD!
- Reduce our expenses – slash / slash / slash – use what you have and become super conscious about how you consume and getting massive value from everything
- Get totally clear on exactly what you owe – who you owe, how much you owe and the interest you are being charged
- DO NOT TAKE ON MORE DEBT
- Get dialing and contact lenders and negotiate like crazy. Get over your ego and self judgement and tell them what you need from them.
- Negotiate settlements
- Negotiate freeze of interest payments
- Negotiate a few months mortgages payment freezes with no interest
- Find out what relief is available to you in your country and apply fr it
- Help others do the same
Although I LOVE my assets, this is the last place you should be staring at during this time, yet it’s the most seductive thing to do.
- Stop torturing yourself by looking at the value of your portfolio of stocks and shares
- If you have index trackers – remember they are self healing and self optimising
- Whatever you do DO NOT PANIC SELL – hands off!
- Keep your regular investing going. Invest on a schedule and according to a structure plan. Don’t try to guess the bottom or what companies will thrive in this time. Remember consistency wins every time
- If you haven’t yet set up a regular investing plan, do it NOW
Making rash, fear based, knee jerk decisions in your asset quadrant is NOT what you should be doing – turn your attention to the other three quadrants and get those working well for you.
LET’S MAKE YOUR FINANCIAL FOUNDATIONS ROCK SOLID
In the 5 Day challenge I will take you through each of the 5 Pillars of Financial Resilience, focusing on the most vital elements in each so you know what to focus on to ensure your financial bases are bolstered and in the best shape to support and serve you.
It is also a charity challenge which means I am asking you to contribute a small donation of $15 to do the challenge.
100% of the proceeds raised will go to the most vulnerable amongst us at this time. The very poor, the homeless and our wildlife that is being poached at an unprecedented rate. These are the two charities the monies will go to.
- 50% to the Gift of the Givers – an incredible organisation helping the most vulnerable people
- 50% to the Balule Community and Anti-Poaching Trust where all contributions go directly to on the ground anti-poaching work in the Greater Kruger National Park. Patrol flights, incursion follow ups, gear and equipment for ground teams, training and supplies for the anti-poaching unit dogs and tracking hounds.
Please go here to join the challenge and by doing so you’ll make your own financial world better and help our world at the same time. That for me is a wealthy life – one that is generative for all.
Choose to be a part of a positive, resilient, compassionate and conscious future.
There has never been a more urgent and more extraordinary opportunity for us to become conscious wealth creators – which means a wealthy way of being for the whole earth.
Right now we are living our futures past…
Each choice we make is creating our future…
Use these moments wisely.
And remember there are two powerful antidotes to fear and greed and these are:
- Radical gratitude
- Turning your focus off yourself and onto the service and support of others.
As we choose to be conscious creators of our new reality, let me leave you with this poem by Rumi
“The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
Don’t go back to sleep!
You must ask for what you really want.
Don’t go back to sleep!
People are going back and forth
across the doorsill where the two worlds touch,
The door is round and open
Don’t go back to sleep!”
Lead, Love, Live and don’t go back to sleep